This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI Hanging

6 replies to this topic

bhagelin

bhagelin
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 18:31

Project type - InstallScript MSI

Setup.exe is wrapped in a .CAB file and delievered via a web browser. Install runs fine, delievering some ocx and other files to the target system. However, when the web browser attempts to call some of the ocx files to run ActiveX, the .msi dialog pops up and just hangs there -- as if some files were missing that needed to be replaced (there are no missing files). The only way to get the msi dialog to go away is to Ctl+Alt+delete with task manager.

In the test lab, with a clean image of XP Pro, everything works fine. It's on my personal workstation that I'm having problems. That leads me to believe there is some registry setting or MSI stuff hanging around on my workstation causing this problem.

I've tried Windows Install Cleanup utility, with no success.

Any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 19:06

It might be missing some HKCU registry entries. Make sure you permanently save the extracted setup files on the target computer to allow repair operations.

bhagelin

bhagelin
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 19:18

How should I go about making sure the setup files are permanently saved?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 20:31

If your setup is a single setup.exe then you can set this in the release wizard. If you have a setup.exe plus additional files that you package in one CAB for download, then you would have to do it when you build the CAB (don't know how)

bhagelin

bhagelin
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 23:10

Are you referring to the section in the release wizard that allows me to check a box titled "Cache installation on local machine?"

That box is already checked, and is the only reference I can find in the release wizard about files being placed on the target system. The media type I'm using is "Network Image."

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 14:19

Yes that's what I mean. Does this not work for you, I mean does it not copy all the setup media to the specified directory?

bhagelin

bhagelin
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 19:12

It does copy two files to the specified directory:

0x0409.ini and ProductName.msi

The hanging msi is still a problem. I believe it's the ProductName.msi file that opens automatically and hangs.

Edited by bhagelin, 03 March 2006 - 19:13.