This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

7.04 install problems

5 replies to this topic

aford

aford
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 19:38

I was using IS Dev 7.03 and just tried upgrading to 7.04.  The service pack seemed to download and install properly.  But, IS Dev 7 would not start.  Instead, a Windows Installer dialog appears with a status message "Peparing to install..."  After a few more seconds, I get an Unhandled Exception error with the following information.
---------------
Error Number: 0x80040706
Description: Object reference note set

Setup will now terminate.
---------------

When I select the OK button, it just happens all over again (it's stuck in a loop).  I can't even cancel the process-I have to use Task Manager to kill it.  I tried rebooting and launching IS Dev 7 again but I still get the same result.

I hope others have better luck.  It looks like I'll have to completely uninstall IS Dev 7 and then re-install.

solidstore

solidstore
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 09:36

If it makes you feel any better I'm having exactly the same problem. Could you post the fix if you find one? I'm searching through the kb now.

solidstore

solidstore
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 09:45

Also, after the installation reboot, the ISD7.04 setup launches the browser and goes to the registration page where it prompts you for your serial number. I fire up Visual Studio.NET and goto the About box. There it lists InstallShield Developer but the product id is unknown!
Is this related to the problem above? I really dont want to reinstall my machine but it looks like InstallShield have done it again! ???

rasputin

rasputin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 19:01

It's happened to me, too. Has anyone installed InstallShield Developer service pack 4 and not had this problem?

rasputin

rasputin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 19:39

I stumbled across a workaround for this problem. I watched the task manager processess when starting the InstallShield Developer IDE, and saw two instances of msiexec.exe starting. One used about 5.2M memory, the other 2.9M. I ended the task for the instance using 2.9M memory, and it restarted. I did this a few more times, and the first msiexec.exe finished whatever it was trying to do and left the process list. Since then I haven't seen the problem and the product runs correctly.

Go figure.

aford

aford
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 20:56

I finally gave up trying to fix the problem since I had already wasted a few hours.  It only took 45 minutes to uninstall ISDev 7, Reinstalled IS Dev 7, and apply the three patches: 7.02, .NET update, 7.04.  Everything is working fine now.