This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Download From the Web project

4 replies to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 17:53

InstallShield Premier 11: Basic msi Project (Download From the Web build)

When launched, Setup.exe downloads .msi and cabs files depending what the user choose in the custom setup dialog. The problem is if the user is backside a proxy server: when the user launch setup.exe it cannot find msi and cabs files while the proxy settings aren't configurer in "local area network (LAN) settings" of windows (the first problem is the "http://www.installen...Script1150.Msi" which can't be found).
So, in many cases, the settings in "local area network (LAN) settings" of windows are "automatically detect settings" but the proxy server checkbox isn't checked... Internet Explorer can detect settings but setup.exe cannot.

I'm not an expert of TCP/IP so I need you help to manage this issue. Should I warm the user he has to configure "proxy server" settings or is there a way to work out this problem.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:19

Oops, in fact, except the launching of ISScript1150.Msi, all the process is ok:setup.exe CAN find .msi and cabs
I'll include ISScript1150.Msi in setup.exe and it should work.

This setup uses Windows Installer v2.0 and support Win98 and Winxp, NT.
We want to have setup.exe shorter as possible. Can I thake the risk to not include "instmsia.exe" and "instmsiw.exe" on it?

Edited by lavocat, 10 April 2006 - 07:50.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:14

98 and NT don't come with MSI 2 so unless your users installed the MSI 2 runtime previously (e.g. from some other MSI setup or via Windows Update) they won't be able to run your setup. Doesn't the release wizard have an option to download the MSI engine only when needed?

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:19

This is not an option but by default MSI engine is not downloaded if not required.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:28

instmsia.exe = 1.67Ko
instmsiw.exe = 1.78Ko
ISScript1150.Msi = 978Ko

setup.exe = 300Ko

When I talk about risk I mean "do you think there is many people using 98 or NT which don't have MSI already installed AND are backside a Proxy?"