This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Identifying the upgrade - please help

1 reply to this topic

damird

damird
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 06:54

Hi.

I shiped an installation package for my product last week. Now I have to implement the upgrade. I read a lot of articles and docs and I now know which GUID values to change, how to populate the upgrade table,...

However I'm concerned about the upgrade. When testing with logging option enabled (/L setting to the .msi file) I found that the upgrade first fires up the uninstall and then the installation. This is ok - I expected this. The problem is that during uninstalation I didn't see the property, which I set in upgrade table, set ... the property apears only during the install.

Explanation:
I have to remove all files when I do an 'real' uninstall (REMOVE=ALL). On the other hand I have to remove only the installed files (not user files) when I'm doing an upgrade of my product. How can I identify the upgrade?

BTW: To avoid another posting ... I'm using the below properties to identify some processes ... please correct me if there is an error ... also give me any aditional sugestion.
- Installation: property 'not Installed'
- Uninstallation: property 'REMOVE=ALL And Installed'
- How to identify the modify (add component)
- How to identify the repair

Another question:
How to upgrade only installed components?

10x a lot and regards,
Dezo

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 09:59

You can use the UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE property.

See help topic "Conditional statement syntax" for information how to detect if a certain component or feature is being added or removed in a maintenance install.