This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MsiPatchMetadata Table and DisplayName

2 replies to this topic

dxue

dxue
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 20:13

What I had wanted to accomplish - to change my patch displayname in Add/Remove applet to customized text other than the default "Update" by Windows Installer, given the "Show Updates" checkbox is checked in Add/Remove.

What I did - included MsiPatchMetadata table in to my .pcp file and populated properties such as DisplayName and MoreInfoURL, etc. with certain string values.
Created .msp file with MsiMsp.exe.

What I found after having applied the patch - the patch name was still "Update" in the Add/Remove and all other customized properties not shown at all!

Did anybody encounter the same problem before? How did you solve it?

Or

Does anybody knows what could have been wrong with my approach to change the default patch install information?

Any hint will be appreciated.

D.X.

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:46

If I understand, you've include the table MsiPatchMetadata into the .pcp and you've create a patch from this .pcp. That's wrong. You've to options to get the wished behaviour.
1. You'll include the poulated table MsiPatchMetadata directly into the .msp-File with Orca or
2. you'll include the populated table PatchMetadata into the .pcp-File. This table content is copied to MsiPatchMetadata while patch creation.

Andreas

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

dxue

dxue
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 18:14

Thanks a lot Andreas. Option 1 worked for me.