This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding columns to existing tables

2 replies to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 19:33

Would it totally mess things up if I added columns to existing MSI tables?

My situation is this: we have several DCOM apps that need a special RunAs account set. I've not found a good way in InstallScript or MSI to do this other than running an external dll. So I made a custom action to write all of the entries in the AppID table to an ini file from an immediate exec. custom action. I then have a deferred custom action that reads that info from the ini file and sets all the appropriate information. The problem is that I don't always want every AppID in the table. I figured I could add a bit field (or something similar) to the AppID table to specify which ones I want to set. I'd then only query for the AppIDs that have that bit set and put those in the ini file.

Would adding the column work or would it totally mess up the installer?

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:33

You'd better add your own custom table, which could have two columns: a reference to the AppId table and your flag, or just one column: a list of referenced to the AppId table for only the entries you want to use.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 16:41

I suppose that would be the safest way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- spdygnlz --