This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

FeatureComponent table in MSM

6 replies to this topic

vishnub

vishnub
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 17:27

Hi All,

I created components and added files to the Merge Module (.msm) and mapped the components in the msm with the sub-features in the msi file.

In the Redistributables view of InstallShield X InstallScript MSI project, i attached the file to the features of the msi. But after building the msi file, i found that the feature column in featurecomponent table of the msi is changed to the feature which i have mapped in Redistributables view, instead of previous mapping in featurecomponent table in msm.

for example,

In MSI the structure is

Feature1
Sub-Feature1.1
Sub-Feature1.2

In msm, Featurecomponent table has
Sub-Feature1.1 ------> component1
Sub-Feature1.2 ------> component2 .

In Redistributables view, i mapped this msm to Feature1, after building the Msi file, the Featurecomponent table has

Feature1 -------> component1
Feature1 -------> component2

I want the same mapping as that in msm after merging, can anyone help me, our point-out the error which i made.

Thanking in Advance

Regards,
Vishnu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:27

Merge Modules don't have features and therefore shouldn't have a FeatureComponents table. Did you validate your merge module?

vishnub

vishnub
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 17:34

Thanks for your reply, i validated my msm against Merge Module Validation Suite. It clears the validation.

Msm don't have Feature and Feature table, but it contains Featurecomponents table, to map the components to the Feature of Msi to which it is going to be merged.

I hope i am correct, if i am wrong mention it.

Thanks,
Vishnu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 17:30

In my understanding of the docs, merge module components get associated with features based on the featurecomponent table in the consuming (parent) project. Hard coding features of the parent project in the merge module doesn#t really make sense because the module can't make assumptions about the features in the parent project..

vishnub

vishnub
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:14

Ok Stefan, I got your point. Is there anyother way to achieve this. I need the feature-component mapping as mentioned earlier.

One thing I found out is, i can get this mapping by making changes in the Featurecomponents table of Msi after merging. Is there anyother approach to achieve the same.

Thanks,
Vishnu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:24

Usually you would do this during or after the merge process. Can't think of another way.

vishnub

vishnub
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:39

Thanks Stefan, for your assist. I am clear about the Feature-component in Msm.

Thanks
Vishnu