This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

cannot install any .MSI file

4 replies to this topic

boneripper

boneripper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 20:16

hi,

im using Win XP and since 2 days ago i cannot install any MSI package, i dont know what happened, i didnt install anything new, i really dont know what to do!

For example, i tryed instaling apache MSI package and after telling him where and what to install, i click "next" and it says the installation was interrupted.

It never give me any error number!

Plus i dont know anything about MSI packages, so, any ideas will be helpfull!

I know that there is a program in windows that allows MSI packages to be installed, can i reinstall that program and see if it works?
How do i do that?

I apreciate any help you can give me.

Tkx in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 15:03

You could create a log file to find the cause of the problem and try to fix it. However this will require some MSI knowledge which you say you don't have. Therefore I recommend you contact the manufacturer for support.

boneripper

boneripper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 21:07

Well, i supose that if it happens with ALL MSI packages, the problem is with the MSI installer, SO the vendor is actually "YOU" !

I supose you could have told me that i just had to do:

c:\msiexec /i Example.msi /L*v logfile.txt

in order to get a log file, its quite simple, NO?!

Well, what happened is that i had to restart my computer after a stupid windows XP freeze, and i tryed that in the comand line.

This time it worked with no problems!

Althoug i think your work could have been better, i must THANK YOU, coz if you hadnt sugested me to make a log file, i wouldnt solve my problem.

Thank you for your support.

Herbert.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:35

Well, i supose that if it happens with ALL MSI packages, the problem is with the MSI installer, SO the vendor is actually "YOU" !

I really can't believe that you blaim Stefan Krueger for a product brought to reality by Microsoft. First of all - think - afterwards you can write. "MSI" is a short form for "Microsoft Installer".
Blaim Microsoft and not the person that's giving the best support info about Windows Installer, MSI, MSMs - all kinds of installations - on the whole web!
h.teichert-ott

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:53

Windows Installer (MSI) is not made by me (Stefan Krueger) but by Microsoft.
I understand that the cause for your problem was "a stupid windows XP freeze", so it doesn't seem to be a problem with MSI at all, but something else went wrong with your computer.
Of course I could have told you the command line to generate a log file (which BTW is documented in many places). But interpreting the resulting log file is not easy, especially for someone who doesn't "know anything about MSI packages".
Anyway I'm glad your computer is working properly again.