This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How can i overwrite a file regarless of version?

2 replies to this topic

Don Tasanasanta

Don Tasanasanta
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2001 - 02:18

I want to replace a DLL that a previous version of software installed with an older version of the DLL. there are a few ways that i've come up with and would like to know if there's a more elegant way...

1) write a custom action to delete the existing DLL before copying in the new one.
2) write a custom action using  VerSearchAndUpdateFile function to overwrite the existing DLL.

any other ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 March 2001 - 09:29

You can set a REINSTALLMODE that includes 'a' to enforce that all files will be reinstalled, regardless of version. This setting however applies to the whole package, so all files would be overwritten.

The other option would be to add your file to the RemoveFile table (which is similar to your solution 1, but without the need for a custom action). The RemoveFile table can be accessed in the Power Editor.

The optimal solution would be to make sure that your new file has a higher version number than the existing.