This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Auto repair

7 replies to this topic

bliss07

bliss07
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 23:48

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to know what resources can be used as entry points for triggering auto repair of a feature in a package apart from advertised shortcuts.

I have created a separate feature which is marked as install on first use and only contains certain files that will be installed to [personalfolder]. I'd like the package to do an autorepair and install the files to each user's [personalfolder] when they first try to lauch the application executable.

Is there a way of doing it automatically at login time maybe by running something off the "run" registry key or do we need to create an advertised shortcut to act as an entry point.

Thank you very much.

partha

partha
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:12

Hi
Through run key u can make the auto repair so that all personal files to be copied to particular user
or
create one advertised shortcut in StartUp Folder with HKCU key is the keypath will do ur requirement

Regards
partha

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:31

You can also add a top level feature to your project and put all other features under it. Provided your shortcuts are advertised this should force a repair on user logon.

Note: It is always best to have the application do this copy operation on its own. Using windows installer to install per user data is a work around at best. My preference is to install all files to a per machine location, and then have the application copy the files to the per user folder on first launch.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

bliss07

bliss07
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:00

Thanks a lot guys!

sg72

sg72
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 17:56

Hi All

I have an app which requires
HKCU\software\classes\appid\x,
HKCU\software\classes\clsID\x,
HKCU\software\classes\x,
HKCU\software\y.
The application will not have any shortcuts (so they cannot be advertized),
as it is going to ba called by other apps or probably initiated by file associations.

It is necessary to populate the HKCU information to all the users on PC.
I advertized all the HKCU keys on the top feture level, however cannot get it to autorepare.
After installing it as admin, it does run aoutorepare as admin, however if I log in as a different user, it does nothing, and the applicaiotn ujust informs me that is missing the keys.

Did anybody encounter a similar situation or could suggest something?

Thanks

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 15:12

You can call something like MsiConfigureProduct (don't know the exact function name), from the application EXE itself. Or you may be able to tweak it by adding a shortcut to one of the EXE files inside the "Startup" folder for all users. This should force a repair on logon for all users.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 18:03

Sg72 - why are you registering your component "per user", whereas your installation appears to be "per machine"? Is this a stand-alone component that can roam with the user within his profile?

For applications that require user-specific resources, I use an advertised shortcut to a dummy executable that doesn't do anything. Since we are talking about "per machine" installs, the shortcut would be in the "All Users\Startup" folder.

Remember to use a registry keypath for your "per user" components! This is due to the fact that keypaths are hard-coded in the registry when the component is installed.

KapilMarwah

KapilMarwah
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 15:32

Either move the information to HKLM (per mc) or u can use Active Setup to install user data if there is no entry point