This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How can I detect 64 bit Windows in 32 bit install?

5 replies to this topic

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 20:10

Hello All,

Our InstallScript/MSI project needs to launch a utility executable during installation. The utility requires the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 runtimes, for which a module does not seem to exist...so we've been launching the redistributable package at the start of our product installation. (Ugly, I know.)
Here's the problem we've run into..on an Itanium server running Win 2003 64 bit, the executable we need to trigger is failing due to missing C++ runtimes.
This makes sense, as the runtime installer we trigger is the _x86 runtime installer, and I would assume that the system will require the IA64 runtimes. (Or perhaps the x64, still haven't figured that part out yet.)
However, when I log the installation on the 64 bit OS, I'm not able to find any properties to determine what OS or what version the installer is running on. WindowsVersion is null, as is PatchLevel and any other property I can think of to identify the system OS or processor type.
Is there a way to detect a 64 bit OS? We've been launching the redistributable package in OnBegin inside a !MAINTAINENCE, now we appear to need to have an OS based fork in that logic.
Or is there another way completely to do this that I'm missing?

Oh, and since this is going to be needed in several of our installers...is there an InstallScript way to do this too for pure InstallScript projects?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 13:16

WindowsVersion is not a predefined property.
Use VersionNT64 to detect 64 bit windows.

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 13:44

Many thanks, Stefan. That's exactly what I was looking for and could not come up with for the life of me.

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 19:52

I got a lot further along with the VersionNT64 property, thank you. Now I find that there's a difference I need to account for between IA64 and X64.

Is there a property for this distinction, or an easy custom action way to find out which platform the installation is running on?

Brian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:30

Please see if the properties Intel, Intel64, and Msix64 do what you need.

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 15:32

Once again, thank you Stefan.