This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade - Short Cuts

9 replies to this topic

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 18:48

I noticed a problem with Major upgrade :
It is putting 2 shortcuts in the Add/Remove programs and also in the Short cut folder.
I am upgrading from a version say 1.0.4.3 to 1.0.4.7, but I am doing Major upgrade as we have been adding or removing the modules.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Chereuku

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:14

This looks like the automatic uninstall of the old version doesn't take place. Double check your Upgrade table entries, make sure you have RemoveExistingProducts action in your sequence. You should also check the log to see if the old version is detected and uninstall is launched at all.

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 21:32

This is how my upgrade table looks :
Upgrade Code : {EEAAA8FF-7543-4F24-9A65-D119C4A2C6D2}
VersionMin : 1.0.3.1
VersionMax : 1.0.4.7
Attributes : 256
ActionProperty : OLDPRODUCTS

SecureCustomProperties is set to OLDPRODUCTS

I also looked at InstallExecuteSequence table for RemoveExistingProducts and it has a sequence value 1410.

I am not sure what else to look at.

Appreciate any help.

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:49

Stefan,
I also noticed that it is not removing the dll's installed by previous upgrade which are not required for the current install.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:08

QUOTE (cherukus @ 2004-02-17 02:49)
I also noticed that it is not removing the dll's installed by previous upgrade which are not required for the current install.

That matches my theory that the uninstall of the old version is not taking place at all. Does the Upgrade Code match the old version? What's the ProductVersion of the old version?
Generate a log file. This will tell you the value of OLDPRODUCTS property (i.e. whether the old version has been detected) and the procedure of uninstalling the old version (and any uninstall errors).
Also performing a update validation could be useful (if your version of InstallShield supports this)

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 15:17

I haven't changed the Upgrade code, so basically they both are same.
The last Product Version was 1.0.4.6 and the new one is 1.0.4.7. Does this matter ?
I never tried generating a Log file and I don't have a clue, but I will look into in the Help and I will try that.

Thanks Stefan.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:37

I'm really can't tell you if it helps, but do you mean the property "ProductVersion" when talking of your "Product Version"?
Then there's a problem, because the "ProductVersion" property is only defined as
major.minor.build
with major and minor ranging from 0 to 255 and build ranging from 0 to 65535.
Further info in Microsoft's Windows Installer SDK helpfile in the Property Reference section for the property "ProductVersion". The remark of this documentation says:
Note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field

h.teichert-ott

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:36

I'v the same problem and no issue.

When I use Installshiel in a simple manner it's ok but as soon as I use in a more complex way there are always problems. I use InstallShield all the time and I discover bugs each days! The last I discover is that when you make a link to a folder instead of linking file per file there is no erro message when you compile and that the folder doesn't exist.
When I compile a new prpject, I need always to check everithing and it takes a lot of time!

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:55

hteichert is correct. The product version can only contain 3 fields and this is why your major upgrade is not working.
Generally speaking if you are changing the fourth field in a version, this is not a major upgrade.

In response to lavocat, I also find these problems with install shield. I usually result to using the Direct Editor instead of the Gui when problems occur because this allows you to change the values directly smile.gif

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 17:12

I did as suggested by "hteichert" and it worked just fine.
Thanks for all the help.