This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Re-evaluate conditions on a Feature

6 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 20:31

We place various components based on a user entered registration code.  We also may remove a component during an upgrade or maintenance install, which is also based on a registration code.

This was initially achieved on NT & 2000 by simply setting Reevaluate condition to Yes on the component.  However, conditionally installing components doesn't work properly on 9X systems, so we were forced to convert the components to sub-features and install conditionally through the use of AddLocal.

Is there any way to re-evaluate conditions using this mechanism?

As always, the help is MUCH appreciated!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 20:34

Call Remove instead of AddLocal to deselect a feature.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 20:38

I believe I tried that, but I'll take a look at it again!

Thanks and I'll let you know!!!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 16:02

Stefan, or anyone ...

How will this work with a new install?  That is, if a condition evaluates to false, based on the parsing of a user entered registration code, the Remove will occur.  What if that Feature had never been installed previously.  Will this cause an error?

I was thinking of doing this:  do the Remove if the condition evaluates to false and the install/setup type is Custom (setup up as our upgrade install) or a maintenance install.  I guess this may still cause problems because the possibility that the feature in question still may never have been installed.

I guess an easier way would be to do the Remove if a file contained within the Feature is present on the target system and the reg code condition evaluates to false.

I know this may be rambling but lend anything if you can!

As always thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 16:14

No, this should not cause an error. The "Remove" control event actually "de-selects" that feature, much like if the user selects "will not be installed" in the custom setup dialog.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 19:26

With that said, let's say I installed our software and Feature A is installed based on a condition derived from the parsing of a registration code.

We send an upgrade and issue a new registration code to this particular end user which will no longer allow him the use of Feature A.  By adding Remove - Feature A - If this new condition exists, will this actually remove the components contained within Feature A or just 'deselect' it for upgrade?

Thanks for all your help!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 18:02

It will deselect it in the same way as setting it to "this feature will not be available" in the feature tree dialog. The result is that the feature will be removed. (Be careful with your REINSTALL property and control event to avoid conflicts)