This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Swapping CDs results in slow install?

3 replies to this topic

phil_cooling

phil_cooling
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 16:10

OK, time for quite a bizarre problem! I have created an installation which, at one point requires the user to remove the installation CD and insert another. The install then checks for a "tagfile" on this CD (using FindFile) and then asks for the installation CD back again.* The installation then copies across the files etc. This all works OK on the PCs I have tested and in all operating systems, BUT the problem comes with several Win2K Toshiba Laptops. On these machines the subsequent File Copy is VERY slow! In the region of 5-10 MINUTES whereas on a similar spec'd PC, it takes about 30-45 seconds. If I create a special CD which has the full installation and the "tagfile" usually found on the second CD (and therefore, I don't need to swap the CDs around) the File Copy whizzes along at the same rate as a PC. Can anyone explain this? I need to get this resolved ASAP as we can't launch our new product with this problem!!

Thanks
Phil Cooling

* The reason why I have to do this is surrounded by myth and mystery! Basically the installation should only proceed if the user has a certain other CD!! And yes, I know this could be hacked if the user found out what "tagfile" the installation is looking for and burnt their own CD with a file with the same name on!!

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:29

Maybe it's a kind of cache problems (file cache) on the Toshiba laptop?

Another attempt:
could it be a problem with a certain media brand of your CD-ROMs (the built-in drive might be getting problems with reading it starting from a specific position - and thus reduces the maximal speed)? In this case you could try to burn another set of CDs using a different brand.

No other clue.

phil_cooling

phil_cooling
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:37

Thanks for your suggestions EberhardH. I had tried a few things along the lines you suggested but I now think I have isolated the problem - Symantec AntiVirus! This is installed on these laptops (and not the PCs I'd tested on) and it appears that the "Realtime File System Protection", when enabled, scans the files being read from the CD and for whatever reason, this slows down massively when the CD is swapped mid-install! When I disable the "Realtime File System Protection" the installation proceeds normally! Weird!

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:14

ah!

This emphasizes - once again - the importance of disabling antivirus software prior to installing ...