This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Nul

5 replies to this topic

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:02

I know that someone previously installed the product, than tried to uninstall it, met some troubles, finally used installer cleanup utility. Now installation breakes down due to some files (components), required for custom actions, doesn't installed (all of them have System32 as target directory).

What problem can cause such behaviour? Sample message from installer log here:

Component: C__45A3CF1ADB77146F86C248FFBB641A3B;
Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Null

Component has no install condition.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:56

Look for SELMGR errors in the log.

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:47

Thank You for advise. But I didn't find any SELMGR errors in the log. Maybe, '/l*v' command line parameter is insufficient (for logging this error type)?

Edited by igodunov, 29 June 2006 - 07:48.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:13

Then I guess there's another cause for the problem. What's the state (installed/request/action) of the associated feature? What is the overwrite information (version comparison result) in the log for the key file of that component?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:39

The /l*v logging switch provides the most information you're going to get from logging.

In this situation, I'd probably run FileMon and RegMon (freeware from www.sysinternals.com) to see what WI is "seeing" when it's trying to install your package. My guess would be that some component GUIDs have got screwed.

Remember to use the 'Include' and 'Exclude' features in FileMon/RegMon to exclude processes you're not interested in - these tools trap EVERYTHING. 'Include' MSIEXEC.EXE (the WI process) and 'Exclude' stuff like Explorer.EXE, your a/v EXEs, svchost.EXE, etc, etc.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:45

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2006-07-01 10:13)
Then I guess there's another cause for the problem. What's the state (installed/request/action) of the associated feature? What is the overwrite information (version comparison result) in the log for the key file of that component?

Strange situation. A key file for the compoment is already exist but no component associated with is registered.