This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setup.exe to do 2 things

7 replies to this topic

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 21:43

Hi,

I have an installation program that has different paths depending on if a reinstall is being performed or a new installation.  The way I have been testing the reinstall is by changing the package code and setting the CmdLine=REINSTALLMODE=vo REINSTALL=ALL in the setup.ini file.  The problem is, I want the user to be able to double click Setup.exe whether it's a first time install or "upgrade".  If it is a first time installation, the CmdLine is wrong (should be blank).  How can I accomplish this?

I am using ISDev 7.02.

Thank you,
Joe

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 08:57

There's an artcile that describes this here on InstallSite under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 18:30

Stefan,

Thanks for the reply.  I looked in the "Tools and TIps" and I'm assuming that what I'm looking for is in the "Launchers and Runtime Installers" section.
Is it an article I'm looking for or a new Setup.exe that someone else wrote?

Thank you again for any help,
Joe

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 18:40

Stefan,

I think it's VSSetup I'm after...

Thanks again,
Joe

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 22:31

I meant the article "Upgrading Without Patching" that describes you to set resp. unset these properties.

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 19:10

Stefan,

I read the article you specified and made the changes to my installation.  I do not want to overwrite my registry settings on a reinstall/upgrade because the program may have set them differently than installed.  So instead of setting REINSTALLMODE=vomus in the CmdLine, I use vo.  Now when I do a "first time" install, the registry part gets skipped.  I have added another CA type 51 called fix_reinstallmode:
type 51
source REINSTALLMODE
target omus
I set the condition to Not Installed and put it right after the fix_reinstall CA (which is right before cost finalize) in both UI and Execute.  This seems to work now.
Do you see anything wrong with this approach that I may be overlooking?

Thanks again,
Joe

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 10:42

Looks good to me.
However what will happen in a repair mode install (user initialed or auto-repair)? Depending on the REINSTALLMODE in the property table either your registry entries get overwritten (i.e. messed up) or they won't get repaired.

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 15:40

I guess I hadn't even thought about that...
I suppose that's all I'm really doing is a "forced" repair?

Thanks for the help,
Joe