This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Program Requires Elevation UAC

2 replies to this topic

ramu

ramu
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:55

Hi all
I have just Installed our Application in Vista. I have concerns

I HAVE DRAGED IN THIS FORUM, SINCE I HAD TO TELL ALL THESE THINGS

1. Even though I am Admin the OS asks for authentification (password) and i learned this is expected behavour since vista creates two accounts for each login and by default it runs in standard user mode and not in admin user mode. this happens in uninstallation also.

2. The UAC is desingned like this. Well After installation few of my exe which interact with COM server won't run. The message pops up saying "Program requires Elevation" and server won't launch.

3. I read articles and found how to disable the UAC. I did through changing the registry value. Once the UAC is disabled neither during installtion nor during running application i faced any error messages or pop ups and application did run as with XP.

4. So the point is i have to disable the UAC if the user doesn't want authentification dialogs or consent (so called) dialogs and to make my applicaton run.

5. I went through IS KB and found we can change RequirerAdminPreveleges in GenInfo and alos in releases Require Execution Level to Admin, Highest, Invoker but sorry to say, none of these things are working.

6. Whether it is advisible for the user to disable the UAC mode to run my application or is there any way around it?? since disabling the UAC won't serve the purpose of UAC and the user may not be willing to disable UAC!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:57

UAC is there for security. If your setup disables it your customers won't be happy.
If you are logged on with an administrator account you shouldn't have to enter a password on the UAC dialog. Clicking OK should be sufficient. <but this may depend on the policy settings by your IT administrator.
If your app requires elevated permissions, your users should confirm the UAC dialog. This is how it is meant to work.

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 15:03

The UAC messages get nicer the more you conform your package to Vista. My advice would be to include the string "setup" in your bootstrapper (this is a special string that Vista will automatically give the highest priveledges to when you agree to the UAC prompt) and be sure to give all your EXE, MSI and CAB files a digital certificate that Vista can verify as being 'friendly'. This'll give your users the best possible experience without any alarming UAC prompts.

Best of luck,
Gareth