This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

XP and MSI 2.0 via ISWI2.03

1 reply to this topic

Devon Anderson

Devon Anderson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 22:24

Hi everyone,

Last week we were testing our latest installer build (quite a large one) with XP. The build works well with minimal OS workarounds for 98/se/me/2000.

However, on XP one of the Msi calls fails in regards to rebooting. I havent had any other problems aside from this call not working at all where previously it did flawlessly :

MsiSetMode (hMSI,MSIRUNMODE_REBOOTNOW,TRUE);

An obscure COM event error was generated in the event editor. I can post that later if anyone is interested.

Oh... This wasnt just XP, I downloaded MSI 2.0 from microsoft and installed on a 98 machine,  and same issue. So... are we going to have any backward compatibility issues with this? If someone upgrades your PC to MSI 2.0 and you run your MSWI setup, it will use 2.0 and not your packaged MSI. So in the future, your current install master may fail ?? .........

If anyone at all has any XP/ MSI 2.0 issues can they post them?

I dont know about ForceReboot if that still works, or why this call doesnt work anymore. I had to use an EXE in the binary table to carry out my reboot.

Also, be careful with ForceReboot. Since Windows installer makes the msi package run BEFORE the command shell (Explorer) runs up, you have minimal services available, and hence if your installer does anything like add items to the system tray at the end of the installation, it wont work (you have no shell).  You have to add yourself to the RunOnce and handle save/loading any settings into the registry. ForceReboot (and I assume ScheduleReboot) arent very helpful given the context that the installer runs under after reboot.

cheers,
Devon