This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

problem with silent mode

5 replies to this topic

roberto

roberto
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 18:28

Hi,

I'm desperate because I'm trying to run a setup.exe in silent mode, but it doesn't work.

I create a custom Action with action wizard:
type: Launch an executable

location: Installed with the product and I try also with stored in the directory table

source: INSTALLDIR (because I copy the source file to this folder)
In this part I have a Question: can I run an executable since a CDROM for example or always the executable has to be copied to the tyarget hard disc?

Target: in this part I tried with many possibilities and all fails. j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /S /v/qn
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /s /v/qn
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /s/v/qn
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /S/v/qn
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/qn"
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /S /v"/qn"
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /s/v"/qn"
or
j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /S/v"/qn"

In-Script Execution: immediate execution
Execution Scheduling: Always execute

What's happened? What's wrong?

I run in windows Init->Run the next command line: j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/qn" and install perfect in silent mode.

I need help because I' m newbie and I'm going mad.

Any ideas please?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:04

What actually happens when you run the custom action?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:56

This j2sdk exe might be a Windows Installer package. You cannot run two MSI packages concurrently.

roberto

roberto
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:21

Firstly, thank you very much for your quickly answers.

Hi luke_s, when I run my installshield application I get an error and told me: "Invalid command line parameters and it show to me valid parameters options", but I try to put this parameters with little success.

Stefan Krueger, If I have understood well, I can´t run several windows installer packages (like j2sdk, acrobat reader or similars) since an unique installShield setup (my own installation), isn't It?
Can't I run in silent mode?

Stefan, If I couldn't do this, what's your suggestion? For example: First run separately j2sdk windows installer package (setup.exe), then run separately acrobat reader windows installer package (setup.exe) and last my own InstallShield setup?
run three setups separately, that's rigt?

Thanks in advance.

Roberto

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 00:25

The Windows Installer engine has limitiations in that you cant execute run two msi based installations during certain stages of the installation (during the execute sequence), unless you use a nested msi custom action. These are not really recommended (there are numerous problems and limitations).

What you could do is either run the SDK install from you User Interface section, or what i would recommend is to make the SDK a pre-requirement for the install (make the user install this first).

roberto

roberto
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:25

Thanks for your reply and your help luke_s
;-)

Only one question, you recommend me the possibility of run SDK install from my User Interface section.
Need I put in a specific position the custom action in the user interface section to works all right?
Because I tried to do this but without success, perhaps because I didn't put in the right position.

Thanks in advance.

greetings,

;-)

Roberto