This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI Setup design (32 & 64 bit target)

4 replies to this topic

Holger_G

Holger_G
  • Full Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 16:20

Hi all,

I would like to know your opinon and suggestions on the following.

I have to install application files and a bunch of driver packages for PnP devices. Currently I am using a pure InstallScript project that includes everything (application files and driver packages). Driver packages will be installed using DIFx InstallScript functions (since IS 12). The setup works so far fine on 32bit and 64 bit operating systems. But I need to move the setup to MSI and that´s why I could need some suggestions from you.

Since a single MSI package does not support to install PnP drivers for 32bit and 64bit using DIFx I need to create separate MSI packages.

Here are my solutions that I´ve collected so far:

1) Create 2 main Setups only (32bit and 64bit).
-Setup includes application files and driver packages

2) Create 1 Setup and 2 separate Setups for driver installation
-Setup 1 include application files and runs on all OS
-separate Setups includes driver packages and runs on 32bit or 64 bit
-Setup 1 includes MSI 4.5 as a prerequisite
-separate driver package setups will be installed using transaction processing (MSI 4.5)

3) Create 1 Setup and 2 separate Setups for driver installation
-Setup 1 include application files and runs on all OS
-separate Setups includes driver packages and runs on 32bit or 64 bit
-separate driver package setups will be installed using an immediate CA at the end of the UI sequence.

What do you think about it?
I think solution 1 would be best with regard to patches and updates and with regard to user experience.
Solution 2 probably requires an additionally reboot for MSI 4.5 (and I would like to reduce reboots as far as possible).

Thanks for you input and experience on setup design.

Holger

Holger_G

Holger_G
  • Full Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:55

anyone?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:52

I dont know much about DIFx, but why can't this be done? "Since a single MSI package does not support to install PnP drivers for 32bit and 64bit using DIFx I need to create separate MSI packages."

You might be able to get around this by writing custom actions in your chosen language that performs these actions.

Holger_G

Holger_G
  • Full Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:16

It´s not possible since DIFx adds calls to deferred custom actions to the install sequence under constant names (MsiInstallDrivers, MsiUninstallDrivers, and MsiRollbackInstall).

Any more input or suggestions?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 23:09

When you install the driver, arent you just installing a service?

Maybe you could use the service table to do this?