This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Mutually Exclusive Setup Types

3 replies to this topic

adboll

adboll
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:15

Hi everyone,

I am semi-new to Installshield tactics. I am having trouble allowing the end user to select certain features to install (via UI) mutually exclusive. I have read several threads on here of other cases of this, but did not seem to find my answer, so I apologize if I duplicate a thread.

Here is what I have setup in a suite installer:

4 Features

1.   CommonComponents (things needed by all the other three features)
  2.   ServerFeature (things exclusive for the server installation of the product)
  3.   ClientFeature (things exclusive for the client installation of the product)
  4.   TrainingFeature (things exclusive for the training installation of the product)

5 MSIs

1.   ConfigMsi (set to CommonComponents feature)
  2.   CoreMsi (set to CommonComponents feature)
  3.   App A (set to ServerFeature)
  4.   App B (set to ClientFeature)
  5.   App C (set to TrainingFeature)

UI

1.   Removed the stock "InstallationType" and "InstallationFeatures" dialogs, as these are NOT mutually exclusive as you all know
  2.   Added custom dialog with three custom buttons (for exclusiveness functionality - guess I could use a radio button group as well)
  3.   On the button click events I have tried setting (custom ISproperty, Windows installer properties such as [ADDLOCAL] and [REMOVE])
  4.   Using custom ISproperty I have tried adding a condition to the applicable features based on the properties in the last step

No matter what I try, all the features install with any button selection. Help. Result I am looking for: When user selects Server button, the CommonComponents feature (and associated MSI packages) and the ServerFeature (and associated MSI packages) are both installed, but NOT ClientFeatuere or TrainingFeature packages.

V/R,

Doug Bollenbach

Boeing FWB IETM Technical Services

Software Engineer

Ping127

Ping127
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 15:32

Hey there adboll did you ever get a fix for this? I have the exact same need and was going to scrap the installationType dialog as well but glad i saw this before i went down that road..  Hopefully you got this resolved and can share.... 

Ping127

Ping127
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 17:12

FYI i've just modified the Installationtype element via the issuite file to add the additional setup type now I guess i just need to make these equal some property and play with conditions to get it working

adboll

adboll
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 23:41

Hello Ping127,

Per a discussion with Installshield tech, I started to use the "Installscript" project (of course I had to change everything over to that functionality). There is a stock dialog in the dialogs section that performs what you need called, "SdAskOptionsList(EXCLUSIVE)". Just edit it to what you want. There is one issue I found with this - the way the dialog is graphically rendered with a Windows Server UI, the check boxes are there but not viewable (cannot check them). 

I then took things one step further to what I originally wanted to do and created my own custom dialog with actual buttons that install separate MSI's.

V/R,

Doug Bollenbach

Boeing FWB IETM Technical Services

Software Engineer