This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

New program kicks off old program's installer

2 replies to this topic

philjeary

philjeary
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:17

I'm not sure whether this is a VB question, OS question, Windows installer question or Installshield question, but i'll go for it anyway.

I have a program that I made in VB and created an installshield project for. This program got distributed and installed by some reps.

I made another program, completely seperate of the first, the only thing in common is the signiture it uses (that box that comes up if you run a program off the web).

This only seems to happen for people running XP service pack 2, but when they run the new app from our website, it kicks off the old app's installer! Furthermore, after that has happened, the old app kicks off the installer too!!!

I've seen this happen with office premier before, where any MS program you run kicks off the premiere install, and after cancelling it a number of times, you're program eventually runs.

Firstly, how can I stop this happening in the future?

Secondly how can I stop it happening on peoples machines that already have it happening?

This is quite urgent as I know i'm going to have a load of reps phoning me first thing monday morning, so ANY clues at all would be much appreciated.

I also posted this on the installshield site so any results I get there i'll post here too, Im not looking forward to tomorrow morning!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 19:35

Did you make sure the two MSIs have different ProductCodes?
For additional clues see http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm

philjeary

philjeary
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:37

There was only the one MSI, the app on the web was just a stand alone .exe.
Thanks for the info though Stefan, i'll have a read.

I should have mentioned that the app on the web deletes 2 of the files from the original install and replaces them with new ones as this is what seems to cause the problem.

I seem to have fixed it now though. By using the kill command to delete 2 files, the MSI noticed their disappearance and launched the installer whenever the .exe was launched, with the intention of repairing the install.

I didnt realise that using the wininet ftp download overwrites files automatically, so losing the kill command wasnt an issue and solved the problem.