This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Network Install

3 replies to this topic

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 18:22

Hello people!

Does anyone know how to do a network install in IS 7.04 with a Standard project?

What I want is a way for the user, who is connected to a LAN, to install a shortcut on their desktop, and share the application, which would be installed in a server.

This means there would only be one copy of our application exe in existence at the site, so only one copy would need to be patched, upgraded etc in future.

I've tried an administrative installation, but this is no help as all it does is copy the files, not install shortcuts.

Any ideas please?

:confused:

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 09:48

Make it a two step process:

1. Administrative install - this will copy the files to the server, so all client workstations can access them.

2. From the client, connect to the server and run the setup from there. For all Features select "run from source". Ths the files won't be copied to the local hard drive (if your componants are set up as "optional" location, not as FavorLocal). Some files 8that need to be copied to the System Folder of each cleint for instance) can be marked as FavorLocal which will copy them to the local disk, regardless of the "run from source" selection for the feature.
Also any registry entries, shortcuts etc. will be created on the client.

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 10:53

That's great.

I can do an admin install fine.

I've also played around with setting the Remote Installation property for all the components to Favor Source.  This is a step forward, but I want the user to be able to choose between a normal (local) and remote install.

I do not understand 'From the client, connect to the server and run the setup from there. For all Features select "run from source".'.  The built-in setup types are custom, compact and typical - I cannot find a 'run from source' type.

Can anyone help with this?

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 15:27

Sorted!

What was needed was a dialog at the front (I used AskOptions) to decide if they want normal, admin or remote install.  If they select remote install, I set a variable to TRUE.

At the end of the OnFirstUIBefore handler, I test that variable and if it is TRUE I use:

MsiSetProperty(ISMSI_HANDLE, "ADDSOURCE", "ALL");
:)