This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Training vs. Training Materials

2 replies to this topic

spammy

spammy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 00:23

I've been an InstallShield user since v3, but haven't used it since v6. Now my company has unshelved an old product and I want to start creating MSI installers for it, which means learning how to use InstallShield v11.

So, the training materials from Macrovision cost $175 US. Attending the class costs $2500 US (plus expenses!). Can a somewhat smart guy like me learn enough from the training materials to save the expense of attending the class? Would I miss out on too much? Would I miss anything?

- spammy

FrankSpierings

FrankSpierings
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 16:19

I'm not too fond about these types of courses. If u want to save money is suggest getting yourself the book:
"Practical Windows Installer Solutions for building Installshield Setup Applications"
ISBN: 0-9715708-3-3

And just try some stuff. Thats how i learned. Most of the time i use google, my experience and installsite.

These courses only tell u the basic stuff. Not the bugs in IS, nor the real problems.

But thats just my opinion

ph34r.gif

Edited by FrankSpierings, 29 December 2005 - 16:20.

spammy

spammy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 23:17

Yeah, I kind of feel that way, too. The best thing I can say about off-site training is that you are held hostage for a week and totally immersed in the subject. Other than that, I can probably teach myself the stuff faster and skip the topics I don't care about.

For $175 I'll still probably buy the training materials if only for another point of view. Hey, it's not my money!

- spammy