This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Small update

15 replies to this topic

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 23:45

In researching providing an updater to an installation package we create for our customers I've chosen to do a small update. We only update a handful of files from the original installation package and there is no addition or removal of any components. The small update seemed to make sense since we did not need to do anything special since the small update would be available to all previous installations because the package code is chaged automatically for each build of our installer.

The problem I am having is that the files do not seem to be updated. I create an install package and install it. I then update and version the files contained in the installation package and build it again while changing the package code. I then install this new package and the files are not updated. Wasn't this suppose to be automatic? Or do I have to run this second install with the REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL msi options? If those options are required I would like to find a way to get around it as I would rather not have our customers run the setup from the command line with these flags. I tried to put those flags in the package to be run each time, but when I do that nothing gets installed.

Any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:42

You need to set REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL
Otherwise, if you really changed the package code, you would receive an error message "Another version of this product is already installed".

You can use a setup.exe launcher that will launch the msi with the appropriate parameters. Many authoting tools include such a setup.exe, or you can use one of the feee launchers listed under "Launchers and Runtime Installers" at http://www.installsi...s.htm#Launchers

Another option would be building a patch (.msp) instead of a full .msi package.

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 16:46

Ok. I went ahead and added those two parameters to our installation, we're using Installshield X so I added them to the MSI parameter field in the release we're building. When I run this install on a machine for the first time nothing is installed. It just races through the installation and doesn't place any files on the machine. Is that the designed behavior?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 19:35

Yes, that's correct. You should use these parameters only during update. REINSTALL=ALL will do exactly that: reinstall everything that has been installed previously. In a first time install, that's nothing.

But you don't need to specify these parameters in InstallShield X. Remove them and instead go to Media > Upgrades > Upgrade Windows Installer Setup. In the Small/Minor Upgrade field select either "Prompt" or " Don't prompt just install the upgrade". Rebuild your release.

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 23:03

Ok.... I removed the REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL parameters from the MSI flags for my release. Makes sense why they messed everything up.

My Small/Minor upgrade setting was set to Prompt. If I ran a setup that was more recent than what I had installed I would be prompted to proceed with the upgrade. That ran fine but none of the files would be updated. I could post the log file I generated when running the more recent installer if that would help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 22:32

Look for SELMGR messages in the log. Or perform a upgrade validation in InstallShield.

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 00:12

I installed my product's v1.1 installer and then ran my product's v1.2 installer while logging everything. I did not see the SELMGR message in the log. The word never showed up. Could that point out something that I don't have set up on my end.

The Upgrade Validation you mentioned in your previous post, do you mean by right clicking the Upgrade Windows Installer Setup and selecting Validate All Items?

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 14:25

SELMGR are error messages, so the absense of this word is a good sign smile.gif
Yes to your second question.

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 18:37

I validated all items in my install project against a previous installer build, versioned the files that would typically be versioned for each update, built the installer, installed the previous build and updated with the newly created build while logging the install.

The log file does not mention copying any files over when running the update. This is verified by checking the version of the file that should have been updated. The file is not updated.

Now I don't have any particular minor update items listed in the Upgrade view and other install projects that I have seem to work without that. Is there anything that you could think of that I might be missing here?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:26

The minor update items in Upgrade view are only required for validation purposes. They have no effect for the actual install.
Can you generate a verbose log file of the update install (from the test project you just described), zip it, and post it here?

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 22:14

Here is the log file generated when installing the update installer. Let me know if anything stands out.

I was told I couldn't attach zip files so this is uncompressed.

Attached Files

Edited by scootyd, 23 February 2005 - 22:17.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:37

Please generate a verbose log file (/L*v) so we can see the overwrite decisions.

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 00:27

Here is the verbose log. The INSTALLDIR variable isn't correct for the update as I had to change it in the initial install. Looking through the log I did notice that the component install locations were being set correctly starting at line 230. These looked good compared to where I set the INSTALLDIR variable in the previous install.

Attached Files

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 00:28

The forum wouldn't let me upload a zip file so I rared it up. Let me know if you're unable to view it.

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 15:21

You can't change the destination folder of a component without changing the component code.

I think this is what you're doing? I think you may also have broken some other rules too?

If you're using MSI 3.0 (you are), could you try adding the following property to you property table or commandline: "MSIENFORCEUPGRADECOMPONENTRULES=1". I've never seen this property in action yet, so please let us know what happens!

Just for my own curiosity - is your company policy to install applications "per machine" or "per user"?

Edited by mandy, 25 February 2005 - 16:59.

scootyd

scootyd
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 17:16

Hmmm.... I don't change the destination directory of any component during the small update. I only want to update the old files of a component during the small update. The INSTALLDIR property is not always the same for any two original (v1.0) installs as the user can change the install directory during the original install. Is this considered breaking a MSI rule?

I didn't think I was using MSI 3.0. I'm using InstallShield X to develop these installers. Is this property only available in MSI 3.0? Let me know if it's available in the older MSI and I'll give it a try.

Our company policy allows a user to install this particular product on a "per machine" basis.

Thanks!