This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Books

3 replies to this topic

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 April 2001 - 12:01

Hi

Has anyone read the "The Official Installshield for Windows Installer Developer's Guide" by Bob Baker?

Is it good/helpfull?
Recomendable?

Isn't it for an Old ISWI version 1.5?
Is it usefull for ISWI 2.0x?

Regards,
Thomas Eskesen

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 April 2001 - 23:50

The book appears to be reasonably useful.  It has lots of details on how the installer works, the various custom action types, etc.  

The earlier sections on basic package creation are probably a little too basic if you've been creating the installs for a couple of weeks.  It is also lacking in examples of how to perform the tricky little bits and pieces that make creating installs so much fun.

The fact that it covers version 1.5 isn't a major problem.  The user interface may have changed a bit, but I don't think there was any major changes to functionality.

If you are new to Windows Installer, the book would be useful, particularly if combined with a forum such as this one, or the installshield newsgroups.  If you've been using ISWI for a while, it may not be worth it.  (Unless the company is paying for it.)

Thane

Thane
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 16:44

I went to InstallShield training, and the books they gave us at training cost 赏.00 each (2). Those books were good, but did not cover some things as much as "The Official InstallShield for Windows Installer" book does.  The books contains lots of useful information.  If you plan on writing any kind of installation then it is worth the ุ.00 dollars or whatever it cost.  

tranng

tranng
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:10

I haven't read all yet, but the one I need is not there. It's on Chapter 9 for the UI.

It's just me.