This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation doesn't remove anything after upgrade

7 replies to this topic

orlando.ribeiro

orlando.ribeiro
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:12

Hello,

I am a Installshield 11 user. I mainly use it for InstallScript projects, but i have one single setup that is a basic MSI.

I'm kind of new to the MSI world, so i don't really know what to make of this problem:

If i install and uninstall the product, everything is fine.

If i install a second version of the product (revision), the setup completes in seconds. It doesn't seem to do anything... Even worse, when i uninstall, all the files/registry/etc remain in the system.

Our current system does not change Product code, upgrade code or Procuct version before compiling the setup.

I read some things about upgrades, so i tried to change Product Version and the Upgrade Code on the setup, but the result is the same.

Is this standard funcionality in installshield? What can i do to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Orlando.

tzkv2n

tzkv2n
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:31

When doing a revision/upgrade you should always change the package code and the version number.

Upgrade code should never change, and the product code should only change if you are doing a major upgrade.

If all you are doing is updating files then a minor upgrade (changing the package code and version number) should be fine.

Anything more than this (deleting files, changing names etc) you will generally need to do a major upgrade.

orlando.ribeiro

orlando.ribeiro
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 18:14

Thanks for your reply. I will test your suggestions and reply as soon as i can find the time smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 15:06

Are you launching the setup using setup.exe or by double clicking the .msi file?

Open the two MSI files in Orca can compare the PackageCodes (there are situation where this might be different from what you see in the InstallShield IDE).

orlando.ribeiro

orlando.ribeiro
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 16:58

Hello,

Sorry for the delay... I haven't had the time to dedicate my attention to this matter...

I tested both your suggestions. I made 2 setup builds, changing only the Package Code and Version. Did not work.

I also used ORCA to validate and compare both MSI files. The Product and upgrade codes are the same, Package Code and Version are, indeed, different.

However, the result is always the same. When i apply the upgrade, it is very quick to finish (like it didn't do anything at all) and quick to uninstall (like it didn't uninstall anything at all).

The upgrade screen is detected and is says a new version will be installed. So, the setup interface is "functioning" correctly, just not the installation itself.

Is there anything else i can check?

Thanks.

Edit: I am using the Setup.exe generated by installshield.

Edited by orlando.ribeiro, 19 January 2009 - 16:59.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:44

Sounds weird. Generate a log file to see what's going on (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm)

Maybe there's a problem with the settings for the setup.exe (in Release view and/or setup.ini). To verify this, start the .msi file without setup.exe for the update using:
msiexec.exe /i your.msi REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

orlando.ribeiro

orlando.ribeiro
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 16:22

Hello,

I tested this again with the instructions on the tutorial you sent me.

When i ran the upgrade setup directly from the MSI, it said that "Another version of this program is already installed" and that i should uninstall it first. This does not happen when i use the setup.exe generated by installshield.

So, i added the REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL properties you suggested and logged the upgrade and after, the uninstall. The log files are very small when compared to the initial log file that is about 13 MB.

can you help me make something out of the logs?

I only added the Upgrade and Uninstall logs. The first install log is too big to upload here...

If you need it, i'll upload it later.

Thanks for your help.

Orlando.

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 18:07

When i ran the upgrade setup directly from the MSI, it said that "Another version of this program is already installed" and that i should uninstall it first.
Good. That's how it should be.

FirstUpgrade.log shows the cause for the problem:
CODE
MSI (c) (F4:14) [15:02:46:262]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{B0A968B7-E165-435D-9D0E-08F8FBFD31A4}' is registered to feature 'WorkflowServer', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (c) (F4:14) [15:02:46:262]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported
MSI (c) (F4:14) [15:02:46:262]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{FAD9120C-972E-4DF8-B1E5-BB29C5578C58}' is registered to feature 'EnterprisePortalService', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (c) (F4:14) [15:02:46:262]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported
MSI (c) (F4:14) [15:02:46:262]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{82950F23-9169-44C0-BA1D-2FF85B4D488C}' is registered to feature 'Default', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (c) (F4:14) [15:02:46:262]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{C8B21D9C-F0DA-49D2-B8E8-B6BB114ACB9D}' is registered to feature 'SiteAdministrator', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!

Since you are doing a Minor Update there are a number or restrictions: you can't remove a component from a feature (and you can't change the ComponentId GUID of an existing component).
If these components are obsolete, you should leave them in your project, but set their consition to 0 and "reevalaute condition" to yes. Thus they won't get installed.

These restrictions don't apply to Major Upgrades where the old version get automatically uninstalled before the new version is installed. So using a Major Upgrade instead of a Minor Update would also be a solution. To do this, change the ProductCode and add a Major Upgrade entry in the Upgrades section of the Releases view.