This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

AppSearch during execution

3 replies to this topic

mspa

mspa
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 15:53

Currently my installation also installs the MSDE module. However after the installation of this module I want to call the osql.exe in a custom action. I have tried to find this executable on disk using the AppSearch, which works fine when MSDE was already installed.

I found out that the AppSearch action was performed before the installation of MSDE so I changed it's place in the sequence to come just before my custom action. However it then just doesn't work.

The UI sequence contains a AppSearch action which does work, but the execution sequence also has the AppSearch action which seems to do nothing.

What are the differences between those two and why does the one in the execution sequence nothing?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:12

AppSearch only runs once. If it was run in the UI sequence it is skipped in the Execute sequence.
Install MSDE as a prerequsiste (which is installed by setup.exe before your msi starts).

mspa

mspa
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 15:44

When I skip the AppSearch in the UI sequence I get an error that Internet Explorer 5.0 cannot be found. I presume this is also done in the AppSearch action?

Besides even when I remove the AppSearch in the UI sequence (and ignore above message) the search is still not done in the execution sequence, where I added the AppSearch action.

Furthermore when adding MSDE as a prerequisite it is executed at the end of the UI sequence by default (no way to alter this?), but I cannot move the AppSearch action to after the installation of MSDE due to above message.

Any work around for this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:10

AppSearch will be executed in the Execute sequence if your setup runs in silent mode.
MSDE is a MSI based install itself. It is recommended to run it before you launch your own MSI (that's what InstallShield's prerequisites do) or afterwards. If you use the MSDE object it will install MSDE during the UI sequence, which is a workaround but has drawbacks, e.g. MSDE will not be installed if your setuo runs in silent mode.
MSI Help describes the sequence restrictions for AppSearch. In general I don't recommend moving it around. And yes, it is also used to detect IE.

Pre-installing MSDE using the prerequisite will make osql.exe detectable by AppSearch in its default location and should therefore solve your problem. However MSDE may not be running automatically, a reboot may be required.