This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installing older version of software

2 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 23:52

what does MSI do to prevent an older version of a program from being installed over a newer one? how does this work? how does the older version know that a newer version is present on the machine?
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 13:22

There is a way you can use the upgrade table to prevent an older version to overwrite a newer version. Check the topic "How do I prevent an old package from installing over a newer version?" in the Windows Installer SDK.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Penseleit

Penseleit
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 21:27

FYI
I followed these instructions from the Windows Installer SDK and it worked for me...

Add another row to your Upgrade table:

The entries you need are:
Upgrade code: <Upgrade GUID>
Version min: <Current Version>
Version max: Blank
Attributes: 2
ActionProperty: DOWNGRADE

Tip: Don't enter your DOWNGRADE Property into the Property table but DO enter your DOWNGRADE property into the SecureCustomProperties table.

Next enter a Custom Action type 19 with a message to your liking.
Action: DOWNGRADE_Message
Type: 19
Source:
Target: This upgrade cannot continue. An newer version of the product is already installed.

Place the Custom Action after the FindRelatedProduicts Action in both theInstallExecuteSequence and InstallUISequence tables.

If a previous version of a product is detected, a message is displayed and the installer exits - works for silent installs as well.

Edited by Penseleit, 13 December 2004 - 22:10.