This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Firing MSIs with arguments

3 replies to this topic

vladb

vladb
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 20:59

HI

I'm trying to do the following:

1) Build many (20) msi packages for our different products.
2) Build one InstallScript project to provide a centralized UI and then run the msis.

Therefore I want to be able to configure how the msi-s are installed from the IS UI. Is this possible? How exactly can I run the MSIs? I don't want each MSI to show its UI, but I want them to accept some arguments to configure them (for example the path of their features). Is there a better way to have one User Interface for more than one MSI package?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:30

You could run the in quite mode or in basic UI mode - see msi help about command line parameters for details.
You can set public properties on the command line.

vladb

vladb
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 14:02

How do you call the msis from script, LaunchAppAndWait?

What does this imply for the Add/Remove Programs ? Will I have an entry for the main IS installation which doesn't install anything? Can I detect the installed MSIs when I run it again?

Thanks for your reply.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 15:15

The best would probably be to write a small EXE that would provide this GUI, rather than using a setup to do it.

However, if you do want to use a setup you could link the close button on the main setup dialog to a cancel/abort setup action to end the main setup without actually installing it. The SetupError dialog may show up if you do this.

LaunchAppAndWait should do the trick provided your setup is wrapped in a setup.exe. If it is not you should call msiexec.exe
Regards
-Stein Åsmul