This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

It uninstalls instead of upgrades!

3 replies to this topic

Darain

Darain
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 13:52

I have asked this on Macrovision's IS 11.5 forum, but no one seemed to be able to help. So I hope for better luck here. Here is my problem:

I have an installer project having a version number of 1.00.13001. I tried incrementing the version number in General Information -> Product Properties, from 1.00.13001 to 1.00.13002, rebuilt it, and ran setup.exe again. But it asked whether I wanted to completedly remove the application, instead of asking me to upgrade to that new version.

I also tried changing two dll files in the source folder so that they were new versions of the old application and having newer file datetime stamps. Then I rebuilt the setup.exe, but it still asked me if I wanted to remove the application.

So that changing of version numbers alone doesn't trigger InstallShield to realize it is a new package. Are there any more settings I need to change to make InstallShield aware of it should upgrade the old application instead of removing it completely?

amitsgupte

amitsgupte
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:24

Did you update the Product code?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:10

How are you launching the setup? Double clicking the .msi file? Double clicking the setup.exe? Launching the setup from the InstallShield IDE?
Is the PackageCode changed but the ProductCode unchanged? Is there any maintenance behaviour you can configure in the general section (I haben't used IstallScript MSI projects in a while)?

Darain

Darain
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 16:04

Thanks for the tips. I tested a whole lot of combinations of changing those product/upgrade/package codes. Eventually found out that I also needed to remove the Minor Upgrade setting and use Automatic Upgrade setting. I guess in my case it's because our source changes frequently and after a certain period, the Minor Upgrade setting actually create errors during build. Automatic setting seems to work fine in my case.