This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Msi Problem on Win98/ME

9 replies to this topic

ni2k

ni2k
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 15:03

The following Error Message appeared at the end of an 98/ME-install of our BETA:
(German Text)
"Wert Default Feature konnte nicht unter den Schlüssel UNKNOWN\Features\07C6642FCF3DC1A418FDE1FA4103997F geschrieben werden.
Überprüfen Sie, ob Sie ausreichende Zugriffsrechte auf diesen Schlüssel besitzen...."
It seems to be related with the number of files to be installed.
(msiversion 2, loose data).
Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem in msi?
(I used the following workaround: I put a large number of file in a self-extracting archive which is extracted at the end of installation, which works fine. So what I am looking for is answers, not workarounds...)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 21:34

Did you read "Windows Installer Registry Limitations on Windows 95/98/Me" in MSI Help?
And why are you posting in English language in the German area of the forum?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:42

Stefan, another question is: why do you have German forums? smile.gif. I assume it is because your primary market is Germany, but in general I think people should make the effort to write in English in online forums. Just my 2 cents, that you didn't ask for smile.gif.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 30 July 2004 - 04:42.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 15:21

I have a feeling that this thread is going slightly off topic wink.gif

There are German forums because a) I'm German and b ) there are German versions of InstallShield and Visual Studio, and there are a couple of people using these German versions who don't know English very well

Sickboy

Sickboy
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:06

Hi,
i have the same problem and need a solution for the Visual Studio Installer.
Anyone have a solution ??? sad.gif

thanks in advance
Stefan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 13:52

If you are running into the Windows 9X registry limit, your otions are quite limited. Either remove data from your setup or upgrade your operating system.

Sickboy

Sickboy
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 14:16

It seems that there are too much Components in one Feature (looking with Orca).
I got 890 Components in the "DefaultFeature" and 817 seem to be allowed.

It's possible to create a second feature and put some components into the new one? how i should do this unsure.gif

Can you give me a simple sketch what i have to do ?
I can use Visual Studio 2003.net Installer and Orca.

It's really urgent, my chief is very annoyed sad.gif

thx for any help !

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 14:39

In general this can be done, but not with Visual Studio (Windows Instalelr capabilities in VS are *very* limited). You can add a new feature using Orca by adding a row to the Feature table and modify the FeatureComponent table. Note that some other tables also reference the feature (shortcut, Class, etc.) so you may have to ajust those, too. Keep in mind that an msi file is a relational database.

Sickboy

Sickboy
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 15:13

Thanks Stefan,

please correct my thoughts what i have to do:

Current Feature Table:
Feature |Feature Parent |Title| Description |Display| Level | Directory| Attribute
DefaultFeature| | | | 2 | 1 |TARGETDIR| 0

should be supplemented to
New Feature Table:
Feature |Feature Parent |Title| Description |Display| Level | Directory| Attribute
DefaultFeature| | | | 2 | 1 |TARGETDIR| 0
NewFeature | | | | 2 | 1 |TARGETDIR| 0

and inside the FeatureComponents table i take 400 of my 890 component entries for example and change the first column to the "NewFeature", right ?
After that i should make a search through the rest of the tables for a FeatureComponent ID which had been changed and correct the feature there too.

Thanks god that this work is scriptable smile.gif

Thank you very much Stefan
u safe my day !

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 13:33

Yes sounds good. Search the msi file for occurances of DefaultFeature