This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Administrative Installation Question

3 replies to this topic

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2001 - 20:20

Has anyone had any experience doing an administrative installation from a network directory?  I decided to try and test this out.   I installed my msi file administratively by doing a "msiexec /a" on it.   I saw that not only did it place a copy of the full msi file in the network directory, it also unwound all the files from the embedded cabinet and placed them in that directory also.    I deleted all of the other files from the directory, so it would be easier for people to find the msi file to click on.   However, when I went to run the install from the network directory, it gave me a series of error messages trying to find the files I had deleted.   It looks like the network msi file is no longer looking for files in its embedded cabinet.   I checked the "Media" table, and it was still set up to point to a cabinet.   I didn't see any obvious differences between the network version of my msi file, and the regular one.   Is this just the way that administrative installs work as opposed to non-administrative ones?   Is it possible to have the administrative install just use the single msi file?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 March 2001 - 22:26

The administrative install is supposed to extract all the files and use these instead of the CAB. The idea is that this enables users to select Run from Source (run from network in this case), so they don't have to copy down all the files, just the registry entries and shortcuts.

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 15:06

If users are supposed to run the application from the network directory, then why does the message on the last screen of the administrative install wizard read "To install local versions of [Product], you can access this network image of the installation package at [Directory]"?    It sounds like people are expected to go to the network directory just to access the installation package, and then install the actual application on their local hard drive.