This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

New Version, Upgrade, How to....

7 replies to this topic

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 11:52

Hi

Can anybody help me.

How do I install (update to) a new version of my program - using WI?
(I would like to automatically remove the old version and install the new
version)

If I change the the version number and/or upgrade code, then I get the
Maintenance: Repair/Modify/Remove option/dialog.
If I change the package code, I get a Messagebox and have to remove the
previous version via Add/Remove,  and then install the new package/version.

Regards,
Thomas Eskesen

(Edited by Thomas Eskesen at 1:05 pm on May 16, 2001)

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 13:33

To do a major upgrade

Keep the upgrade code the same.

Change package code
Change product code
Enter upgrade code in upgrade table
Add property added to upgrade table to the SecureCustomProperties property
Move RemoveExistingProducts to after InstallFinalize

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 16:06

Hi,
1.You can find a lot of information on this site in 'Windows Installer- Tools & Tips - Upgrade and Patches". If you want update you product without creating special patches you can use small or minor update and see "Upgrading wihout Patching" file Upgrading.html.
2. See Window Installer Help item "How do I prevent an old package from installing over a newer version?"

Good luck

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 12:28

Hi

Why is it so complicated?
This must be an issue for everyone...
I would like to: If there is a existing version of my program, to update the files via Maintenance. If there is no version, to install the new version!!!

I have read the help on upgrade Small, Minor, Major upgrades,... but even Small ( = change package code) just gives a messagebox asking me to first remove the old version and then install the new....

I hav tried the "Minor and Major Upgrade" description of http://www.installsi...Upgrading.html, but it also want me to change Package Code...
If I dont change the package code it seems to work!

BUT I also want it to work without setup.exe; that is if I just click on the MSI file!?!?!??

Regards,
Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 12:37

In short:
I would like to go through my Maintenance flow,... the setup program should give me the Maintenace option to Remove or Repair/Update!!!  
Why can't I get the Repair to update files based on fileversion?!??! And just use Repair to update my program release version?!??

Any hints?

Regards,
Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 13:51

F.Y.I.
I solved my problem: To update my installation via the Maintenance "Repair" (renamed to "Update/Repair") option by:

NOT to change ANY CODES!!!!
NOT to use the hints in Robert Dickau's document.
BUT:

set the Property in the Property Manager:
"ReinstallModeText" to "vomus"!

I still don't understand the concept of the Product, Package, Upgrade codes and version numbering!!!!
I think it is far out to have to uninstall the old version manually (from Add/Remove) and then install the new version

Regards,
Thomas Eskesen
Who gradually hates ISWI more and more....

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 17:30

I feel your method is slightly flawed in a couple of respects.

1.   Because you are keeping the GUIDS the same I believe that only the old package is ever run.  This means that you can only update files that have the same name.  You can not add new files or remove old files.  You can not change registry settings, com registration etc.  I might be wrong.

2.  An update system that relies upon the UI is a great pain for a large network roll out.  Perhaps I am over sensitive to this because my product is a network client.

As you start to understand MSI better you will start to appreciate it better.  I think it is a much better system than it first appears.  Having said that I quoted my boss a time of a week to convert a project from the old style InstallShield.  It took me seven weeks, but it is much better.

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 May 2001 - 06:52

Thanx!

I think you are right in statement #1.
- but how in the h... do you use the GUID's? Then everyone in the network has to remove & install everytime there is a new build?!?!?

In large networks You use the msi file directly and not the setup.exe?  How do you make a easy program update?

Regards,
Thomas