This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading

3 replies to this topic

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 10:14

Hi all,
Having got my installation up and running, I now want to ensure i go about sorting out the upgrade properly.

Could anyone provide me with some guidance to make sure I am doing it right?

Upgrade code: I have copied and pasted my upgrade code from product properties for this
Version Min:2.0
Version Max:3.0
Language:English (United States) (do I need a numeric identifier for this?)
Attributes:I am unsure which attribute I require, I want to uninstall the existing product and install the new installation.
Remove: (dont know what to put here)
ActionProperty: I am sorry but i cant get my head around what I need for this - according to the help "this property must be a public property and has to be added to the securecustomproperties property.

To date when i have compiled my installation with this upgrade table i get an error ** Error -3016: Error writing row 0 in table Upgrade so i know i am doing something wrong!

Sorry to be so basic but I cant seem to get a straight answer from any of the textbooks or help.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Berni

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 10:28

Upgrade code: I have copied and pasted my upgrade code from product properties for this Thats right.

Msi database version numbers are of the form m.n.q  (m, n<256, q<65536).

Language, leave this blank until you have multiple language versions of your product.  Blank means upgrade any language.

Attributes this controls how the other fields are interpreted.  I use 773.  msidbUpgradeAttributesMigrateFeatures(1) + msidbUpgradeAttributesIgnoreRemoveFailure(4)  + msidbUpgradeAttributesVersionMinInclusive(256) +
msidbUpgradeAttributesVersionMaxInclusive(512).  Migrate features means that the user will be offered the choices he or  she made when he first installed the product.  Ignore remove failure means that  a failure in the uninstall phase will not prevent the upgrade completing.

Remove is normally left blank.  ie when uninstalling REMOVE=ALL.   If you want to do more advanced things you can have a list of features.

For ActionProperty just choose any name you like eg. "UPGRADEVERSIONS"

Now in the ISWI property manager
define a property SecureCustomProperties with the value "UPGRADEVERSIONS"

My upgrade table looks like this (2 records)

Upgrade Code : {My Upgrade Guid}
Version Min: 4.20.0000
Version Max: 4.30.0002
Attributes 773
ActionProperty UPGRADEVERSIONS

UpgradeCode: {MyUpgradeCode}
Version Min: 4.30.0003
Attributes 2
ActionProperty: NEWERVERSIONS

In the property  manager
SecureCustomProperties:  UPGRADEVERSIONS;NEWERVERSIONS

In ISWI General/Product Properties
ProductVersion 4.30.0003

I have a custom action ErrorUpgradingNewerVersion
Type: 17
Target: 20010

Error Table
Error: 20010
Message:  You are trying to install an older version of "My Product".  You must uninstall the current product and reboot before you can do this.

I place this CA after FindRelatedProducts in the user and execute install sequences. with the condition NEWERVERSIONS

I hope this helps.

(Edited by Ian Blake at 10:32 am on Oct. 3, 2001)

(Edited by Ian Blake at 10:33 am on Oct. 3, 2001)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 18:37

#Moderation Mode

Moved to Updates and Patches forum

Moved here

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 16:58

Thanks a million for all your help Ian, I really appreciate it .
(and no doubt will need more of it in the future!!!)

Thanks again
Berni