This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Server Box?

6 replies to this topic

tbrinkm

tbrinkm
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 18:27

I need to be able to tell whether the Windows 2000 box my install is running on is a Server or Professional box.  How can I do this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 20:30

In MSi 2.0 there's a new property that will tell you. With older versions you look at the registry entry ProductType in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Product Options
If it "ServerNT" or "LanmanNT" you're running on NT/2000 Server, else on NT Workstation or 2000 Professional. (LanmanNT is for Domain controller)

tbrinkm

tbrinkm
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 20:43

What is the property?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 21:37

MsiNTProductType
1 for Workstation/Professional
2 for domain controller
3 for server

tbrinkm

tbrinkm
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 21:39

Odd.  I'm using ISWI 2.03, but I can't find any mention of that property.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 07:30

When I said "MSI 2.0" I meant the Windows Installer runtime files version 2.0 that Microsoft released some days ago. There is no direct support in IPWI for this, but it can be accomplished. If you want to go that route, instructions will be made available soon.

If you have a tight schedule, you should do an AppSearch for the previously mentioned registry entry.