This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Making Green Color background for setup (pl help)

7 replies to this topic

suvidha

suvidha
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 07:28

I am new in this field and hope to get  some help from you guys..

I want to create splash (i am not sure if that is what it is called) for my setup.exe. ie
I want to have green color full screen/window in the background with my company's name on Top left corner while the dialog boxes of my installer are shown...
I have the dialog boxes ready but could not figure out how to make the green color background.
I tried SetColor(BACKGROUND, BK_SOLIDGREEN) in Installscript (MyFunction) but it did not work.

It looks simple but i could not figure out a wayt to do this!!

Thanks in advance..

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 07:56

There are two ways to do this. You can use billboards or you can set the color of the background and the background image from the script. I prefer to do it from the script.

From script:
Enable( FULLWINDOWMODE );
SetColor(BACKGROUND,RGB (2, 40, 80));
Enable( BACKGROUND );//This is optinal. Try without it
PlaceBitmap(szImagePath,0,0,0, UPPER_LEFT);
szImagePath = "c:\\images\\picture.bmp"
It would be better to store the image in the binary table and then stream it out to the temporary directory, which MSI creates at the start of the install. Then you could use szImagePath= SUPPORTDIR ^ "picture.bmp"
This isn't very easy so you probably don't want to try this right away if you are a beginner. The function for streaming binaries is not  built in, but it can be found from InstallShield's examples folder or some similar directory.

Billboards are probably a better solution for a beginner:

Select Billboards from the view list. It's located under the topic 4.Design the user interface. Right click on the Billboard text in the window to the right of the view list.
Select new billboard. Then you must add an image that will be shown during file copy. You can enter text and select colors for the billboard from here. Then just compile and run your project.

I have had some nasty problems with billboards and setting the background properties from the script. If you use fullscreen background focus seems to disappear from Windows Installer dialogs. It can be a VERY annoying problem. I haven't yet been able to resolve this.

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2001 - 17:25

i had tried both the things but am facing seeing same problem namely, once you add a background to the dialog boxes, they (dialog boxes) lose focus while running setup.

If someone knows a workaround, pl help!!

cross

cross
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 19:20

I am having this same problem.  When I add a background screen to my setup, all of my dialogs, with the exception of the CustomSetup dialog show in the foreground.  The CustomSetup is hidden behind the background screen.  I've tried Enable(MSIWINDOW), but it doesn't seem to work.  
The setup's not very user friendly this way...  I'm interested to find out how to fix this problem.

nraina

nraina
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 00:21

How did you create the background using billboard ? or by calling functions in installscript? pl let me know

cross

cross
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 14:38

Through installscript as in the previous post.

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 20:37

I don't use IS, so my terminology may be a bit different, but in the Windows Installer world, a Billboard Control is used to display ActionText events.  The best way I have found to accomplish this task is to create a MODELESS dialog with the bitmap you want to display.  Then modify all the other dialogs in your display sequence to KEEPMODELESS ... in other words, add 16 to the existing attributes.  The first time the installer hits a dialog that does NOT have the KEEPMODELESS attribute set, it will drop the background.

Please drop me an email if you have additional questions on this issue.