This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Run another installation

2 replies to this topic

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 14:09

HI All,
what i need to do is the following -
i would like to run an installation from another installation, and i do not want to use nested installation.
so i thought about using CA 35, in the directory table i added the SystemFolder, and in the CA table i added the following:
Type=35
Source=SystemFolder
Target="[SystemFolder]msiexec.exe" /i [SourceDir]<name_of_msi> /qn

i could not find a way to store my other msi file, into the parent msi, and call it from CA 35.

so anyway, after doing that, when i run the installation, i got error 1606 saying that "could not access location".

how do i solve it?, any help would be appreciated, or any suggestion for doing it maybe in a different way..

Thanks.

Guest_carl

Guest_carl
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2002 - 12:55

Hi TAL,
I don't think that this will work, as MSIEXEC only allows one installation running at any one time.

What are your reasons for not wanting a nested installation?

Carl

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 12:28

The problem that i face when using Nested Installation is that if a product is being installed within another product, then after that it tied to the parent installation, and if it is laready installed i can not run the product's msi on that machine. i get an error saying that it is prevented to run this installation.

any suggestions?. is it true that is a prduct is being installed from a nested installation it is not "on his own" anymore, but "under" the parent. and changes that needs to be made needs to be made from the parent???