This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallLocation is lost after applying a patch

4 replies to this topic

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 15:06

Hi all,

my program uses the following registry value to get its location:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{PRODUCTCODE} -> InstallLocation (REG_SZ).

After a fresh install, it has the correct value.
After a patch (minor upgrade) is applied, this value becomes empty.

What should I do to make this persistent ?

I'm already writing the INSTALLDIR property somewhere else, but I thought everything under that key was taken care of automatically...?

Thank you,

Sophie

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:39

You should pick up the path in that value using AppSearch/RegLocator and store it in INSTALLDIR.

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 21:50

INSTALLDIR is fine, but why is the value cleared in the registry after a patch is applied ? That's what I don't understand...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:23

The patch is re-writing the registry entry (because a patch is a special form of reinstall). In this case the property is blank and therefore the registry entry is wiped out.

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 21:07

(I'm using IS X) found out that there was a condition on the SetARPINSTALLLOCATION CA. The condition was "Not Installed". rolleyes.gif

I removed the condition and the registry entry was kept after the patch/minor upgrade.

Thanks for your help

Sophie