This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Single File EXE and silent install

3 replies to this topic

shakaboy

shakaboy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 20:14

I have a third party software package. It is Symantec Antivirus 9. It comes with an MSI, setup.exe, a CAB file and the Windows installer files.

I used Tuner to create a transform file.

I want to create a single file EXE which is a silent install.

Is there a product by Installshield or anyone which allows one to grab a bunch of files, bundle them together, then run MSI command line parameters in the build.

I've tried PFTW but it only has parameters for setup.exe. I want to be able to run a command line like this:

msiexec /i "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /qb REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=all TRANSFORMS=sav9.mst

Any ideas?

Keith

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 19:33

When you build your self extracting exe with PackageForTheWeb you can specify the command line parameters for the program to be extracted.

shakaboy

shakaboy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 18:23

I've tried all sorts of command line parameters in PFTW.

I'll using setup.exe. But what do I use for the command line? I need to run a silent install and apply the transform file to the MSI.

Another issue I am dealing with is that of upgrades.

If I install SAV9 build 338, it installs fine. If I attempt to install SAV9 build 1000 on top of it, I receive an error that "Another version of this product is already installed......Add/Remove Programs".

If I just install 338 with no changes, then install 1000, it works fine. The issues comes when I attempt to apply transforms to the build.

So I also need to include REINSTALLMODE=vomus and REINSTALL=ALL into the command line.

The problem is that I want one build to work whether it's a new install or an upgrade.

I've attempted to add specific files using DevStudio in SAV9 using an ISM project then use PFTW the bundle everything together. By themselves they install fine. However if I attempt to install build 1000 over build 338 the installation appears to work fine. I reboot then a window appears that says "Symantec Antivirus.msi" can not be found.

I'm starting to think their is no easy to create a single file EXE, silent install using Installshield which works for upgrades and new installs.

My workaround is using Symantec Packager. It's simply to run the Symantec install, add a registry entry in RUNONCE to run a batch file to do copy commands after reboot.

Thoughts, comments?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:14

For a Minor Update you need to set REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL, but not for a first time install. So you can't do that inside the package. Also I believe you cannot specify transforms during update. So you would have to built two different PFTW packages, one for first time install and one for updates.
What command line parameters are you currently using iside the PFTW package to install the MSI with transform in non-silent mode?