This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Terminal Services problem

5 replies to this topic

Ray Finck

Ray Finck
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 01:28

I have a very frustrating problem that I have been unable to get a satisfactory resolution.  I have three Win 2k Terminal Servers, which have an ongoing problem.  The OS is a standard install with SP2, Office Pro 2000 (using Termsrv.mst) and has SP2 applied as well.  The problem is that with a number of applications that have been installed subsequent to this, they automatically launch Windows Installer when starting the application (either from the Server or Client session).  The Windows Installer asks for the Office CD1 to be loaded, and even if it is inserted into the CD Rom, Windows Intaller goes into a loop.

Douglas Barker

Douglas Barker
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 10:59

Ray
I have the same problem with applications that were installed after Office.  Every time they are launched Windows Installer asks for Office CD's.  This is a workaround which may or may not be suitable.  

Create an MMC with local machine Group Policy - Computer Config - Admin templates - Windows Components - Windows Installer.  Double click the Disable Windows Installer and set to Enable and Disable Always.  This will stop Win installer popping up but will also stop you from installing any further software.  Disable then reenable between software installs.  This is a very crude workaround and I look forward to any other posts that tackle this in a better way.
Rgds Doug

Ray Finck

Ray Finck
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 02:43

Thanks Douglas,

I had thought of that, and have now disabled the service, however the applications still try to launch the MSI but does stop the loop.

Douglas Barker

Douglas Barker
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 15:59

Ray

I've had another look at this.  Look at MS article Q235620 and http://www.microsoft...ox.htm#keypath.  
It appears that the apps we have installed after Office 2000 have overwritten Office files so the auto repair feature kicks in and tries to repair the install.
The Keypath XL sheet may shed some light on what is being "repaired".  Have a look at the event log for the ComponentID.  It seems possible that if we run a repair of the Office install, all the correct components will be repaired and the Installer should not be invoked.  I havn't tried this though.
Hope this helps . .

moverton

moverton
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 16:36

Is the oleaut32.msm merge module part of your installation?  This apparently has some missing conditions, which can result in this kind of behaviour.

Martin

Ray Finck

Ray Finck
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 06:40

Douglas,  My problem appears to have been solved.  Reinstall/Repair did not work, however by looking at the Event Log (Errors 1001 & 1004), checking these against XL Keypath sheet, I was able to determine the incorrect  registry setting (missing in my case).  Once the entry had been inserted, the problem disappeared.
However having said that, this setting is user specific and incorporated in the users profile.  When creating a new user, the registry still needs updating manually.  This would indicate to me that the original office install mst file may have been corrupted.  However I'm prepared to live this know error for the time being and will address this a some time in the future when a server rebuild is required.