This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Location of a shortcut

3 replies to this topic

JWPP

JWPP
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 15:28

I'm wanting to distrute an MSI to various versions of Windows. On each version the Icon wants to be in a different location on the Start menu.

I have a Environment variable set stating which type of OS it is. I am currently messing around in the MSI Script part of WISE and have been trying the following

IF osver = "XP" then

here I want to replace the shortcut location, e.g. set LOCATION to c:\......... depending on the OS. I know I could add a value in the "DIRECTORY" (in tables) and have it point to that.

But, getting down to the main point: can the shortcut location become a variable, if so, how?

Regards

John Penford - MIDAS Support and Development.

igogo

igogo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 17:39

i'm not familiar with WISE IDE but...
if i were you i would create mutually-excluded components
solely for authoring shortcuts, each one conditioned by OS version. you might eventually find a way to populate shortcut path either from script or thru the property,but script is not
as obvious as component's view before your eyes and setting
the property would require as many CA's (depending on OS versions ) as there are different OS versions.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 22:19

mutually exclusive components are a good idea, but cant you just set the destination of the shortcut to a global property, eg SHORTCUT_PATH and then use a custom action to assign this each time that you install?

taffit

taffit
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:23

You can enter a directory in the directory table:
TESTDIR             TARGETDIR             .
and set this directory with a custom action of the type 35 to a formatted string, e.g. [%USERPROFILE]\....
Could this help you?