This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

trying to uninstall gives "another in progress.."

9 replies to this topic

bsutherland

bsutherland
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 21:18

I tried searching to find an answer to this, but I must have not been using the correct combination fo keywords.

I have an install that needs to uninstall any previous products (many different revisions, none of them built under IS-X. They are all different versions, and we're going to a common install for everything now, so I don't think the minor/major update thing will work.

I created a custom action which calls
MsiExec.exe /X{blah blah blah}

This works fine when I run it from the command line. However, I get "Another installation is already in progress. Complete this installation before proceeding with this install".

To me, it seems like my CA is in the wrong place. I tried it in 'install exec sequence' as first action, as well as 'install ui sequence' (which seemed to trigger right away as opposed to the install exec sequence, but both of them are giving me this error.

I figured since I have 9 things to check for, I need 9 custom actions, all with the different guid's.

If anyone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advace.

~Brian

bsutherland

bsutherland
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 00:29

as a followup...

I also tried creating a prerequisite, which would call the msiexec call, but that seems to be failing as well. I KNOW that this isn't a big deal, but I've been looking all morning and afternoon, and trying things here and there, and cant come up with a working solution. ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:26

It should work in the UI sequence (I've done this before). Enable global MSI logging to see what happens in which order.

bsutherland

bsutherland
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 20:33

OK, I got it working in the UI sequence, but I forgot to mention 1 important part. This install needs to be able to be pushed as well, and during the push, it skips the UI sequence, so the pushes aren't working for me.

My mistake not mentioning that before. So again, if I could get any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 14:17

In this case you need to run the two MSIs sequentially, i.e. push both of them.

bsutherland

bsutherland
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:15

That is a possibility I hadn't thought of, but I'm going to use that as plan 'b'.

I have now tried moving to a Major Upgrade, which seems to be doing pretty good. I didn't think you would be able to Major Upgrade installs that were built with IS8 or IS9, or that you didn't have the sorce for, but I found that you can open the .MSI file and get that information out of it.

I found an example that would install 1 file, and the 2nd install would uninstall that one using the Major Upgrade, and the Upgrade Code GUID. Things worked good, and pushing #2 would automatically uninstall #1.

However, when I then added the upgrade GUIDs from my actual products, it would work fine when running it locally on the system. However, when I would run it through the push, the install fails. I have the Upgrade items as

code {xxx-xx-xxx}
min version: blank
incl min version: Yes
Max Version: blank
incl max version: No
Lang. 1033
Exclude specified lang: No

ADDITIONAL SETTINGS
Detect only: No
Detect Prop ISACTIONPROP3 (this is the 3rd one)
Only Remove Specied Features: blank
Continue On Failure: Yes
Migrate Feature States: Yes

I'm sure that I'm just missing something very basic on this, since the example was able to push just fine. I've copied all the settings on this for the upgrade item for the example and the ones I've done, so they are all the same. I just cant put my finger as to why it's failing when I do the push with the additoinal items.

Thanks for the help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 14:38

VersionMin and VersionMax must not both be null.

bsutherland

bsutherland
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 23:19

I have regressed. I am now unable to have it uninstall locally for some reason.

I went back and created a new object, and pointed it directly at the MSI file, so it would fill out all the info automatically. I then made my new install have a greater version number, 4.3.0.001 (as compared to the old legacy product of 4.2.0.001).

However, I'm still getting nothing.

bsutherland

bsutherland
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 23:34

OK, I changed the product version on the upgrade item to "Any earlier version", and the local install began working again and uninstalling my product. However, it still doesn't work over the push, and it doesn't install the product either. Is there a way to enable some sort of logging on a push that will tell me what's going wrong?

Thanks for all the help and ideas supplied so far.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:24

You can enable MSI logging on the target machine with policy settings