This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

iKernel error on Swedish Win2K

4 replies to this topic

sharong

sharong
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 10:26

We got a complaint from a customer who for some reason, is unable to run an English IS 6.31 setup on his native Swedish Windows 2000 Professional machine on which is is an administrator (or so he says...)

He got a "The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched" message, which confuses me, since he says he's sure he's an admin on his machine.

Does anyone have an idea what other circumstances might cause this error? (different folder names? permissions to the IS engine folder?)

Or should I just fly to Sweden and kick the guy in the ass for wasting my time by not checking whether or not he's an admin on his machine? ;-D

Sharon

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 18:32

Or maybe you should kick yourself in the ass for not checking this requirement during OnBegin using a function like:

function CheckAdmin()
 NUMBER nResult;
 STRING szMsg;
begin
 nResult = Is(USER_ADMINISTRATOR,"");
 if ( nResult = FALSE ) then
   szMsg = "This install requires Administrator priveleges. " +
                   "Please login with such rights and try again.";
     MessageBox(szMsg, SEVERE);
     exit;
   endif;
end;

But as for your real question, I haven't done much with other languages, so I don't know what's going on.

(Edited by TacoBell00 at 12:36 pm on Dec. 18, 2001)

sharong

sharong
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 18:41

nope. no self-kicking needed on my side, since such a requirement *does* exist in my setup.  :o)

however, the iKernel and engine stuff happens even before the actual setup takes place, during the file extraction phase, before the script runs. so as far as i can tell, anything i put in the script will be useless here.

unless you have a better idea?

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 20:12

Ok, partner, this has happened sporatically; usually when there was a network install.  

How to fix the problem...  First go to the taskbar and verify that no other ikernel.exe are running...if they cancelled or glitched or for some reason, the process is just not terminated.  If you find one, kill it.  And you should be able to rerun the install.

If that doesn't work, you might try to go to PROGRAMFILES\COMMONFILES\InstallShield\engine\6 (I think; where the ikernel.exe is placed) and rename it.  I have had to do this before and can't explain it.  Probably just a glitch.

You might have to reboot after renaming because whatever has it locked will still and a reboot should release it.

sharong

sharong
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 20:15

cool. i suspected something like that could have happened and that's pretty much what i told our support people to tell the poor guy...

thanks!

Sharon