This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Cheat for multiple instance installs. Help?

5 replies to this topic

woter324

woter324
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:46

I want to break the mould and go against Microsoft's "Best Practice" and be able to run an installer as many time as I like without it detecting that the installation has already been run.

I know that my MSI is droping entries into: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\installer\Products\<PRODUCTGUID>

My question is where is it getting this information?

I have tried many things, including removing the standard actions "ValidateProductID" and "WriteRegistryValue"

I've search the database for the <PRODUCTGUID> entry, but it doesn't show.

I've tried modifying the registry to remove the <PRODUCTGUID> keys.

I'm about to create a script to remove the keys, but where have Macrovison or more likely Microsoft hidden the action that is writing these registry values?

Any help would be much apreciated.

Many thanks

Woter

Edited by woter324, 27 October 2005 - 12:50.

woter324

woter324
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:49

P.S. I know about the instance transform, but it looks as though that is going to be a big job, one that won't be complete before our UAT deadline that's rapidly approaching ohmy.gif . I need a quick win for now.

Oh and IS only supports instance transforms by way of the direct editor and there support won't help either IS Support:

"Speaking of the InstallShield interface, you have reached some of the limits of the product. For instance there is no supported method to modify the MSTs at run-time. Also, the recommended method of authoring the multiple instance transform is just as you found (the linked article below).

Installing Multiple Instances of Products - http://helpnet.macro...Ro...tance.htm"

Thanks

Edited by woter324, 27 October 2005 - 12:56.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:51

Quick dirty hack: remove the PublishProduct standard action.

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:53

Instead of doing this all. why don't you create a pure InstallScript project ?
&nbsp;&nbsp;ankur tyagi

woter324

woter324
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 13:30

Thanks Stefan,

Tried this and it still wrote to the registry, However looked up in PSDK and found:

PublishFeatures: Writes the feature state of each feature into the system registry

Removed this and now I can install as many times as I like.

Thanks

woter324

woter324
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 13:40

Actually it looks as though once would need to remove PublishProduct and PublishFeature as I had removed them both, but put back PublishProduct which wrote registry entries under Product.

Looks as though MS Platform SDK is incorrect, or needs modifying.