This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Network Resource unavailable when applying Patch.

1 reply to this topic

satishb

satishb
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:41

Hi,

I have installed say ProductVersion1.msi from the location D:\Installs\ with product version 1.0.10
After installation i have deleted the file ProductVersion1.msi from the location D:\Installs\

I now have a patch Patch2.msp whose version number is 1.0.20. I am applying the patch using the following command

CODE
msiexec /p Patch2.msp REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus

the patch application starts and throws a message box saying
CODE

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ProductVersion1.msi' in the box below.

The box contains the location D:\Installs\ProductVersion1.msi

Why does the Windows Installer look at the location from where the product was installed instead of taking the Cached Version ?

How do i instruct the Windows Installer to use the Cached Copy instead of looking the msi in the location from where it is installed ?

Regards,
-Satish

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:14

The cache only includes the MSI database, not your application files. There are various possible reasons why a patch may require the original source. Did you read topic "How can I prevent my patch from requiring access to the original installation source?" in MSI Help? Using MSI 3 instead of MSI 2 should also improve the situation.