This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changing two icons...seems simple...

4 replies to this topic

Nedelman

Nedelman
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 14:49

Sorry if I sound like a retard for asking this, but I'm new to the software and I've just spent 3 hours trying to finish my project, which is pretty much done except for 2 small problems. How the HELL do you change:

1)The icon/bitmap that appears in the initial "Installshield is preparing for install...." window that appears when you run the setup program. I've looked in _isres.dll and it's not there. I've tried using DialogSetInfo() but that doesn't seem to affect the dialog since the script functions probably get called after that dialog has been dismissed.
2)The program icon. This is bizarre to me. I absolutely cannot figure out how to change the damn program icon from within Installshield.

I'm AMAZINGLY frustrated right now.

Thanks ahead of time to the Installsheild god that saves me. I owe you one.

-Derek

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 16:20

1. Setup.Bmp - Replace it.
It is under ProjectDir\Setup Files\Uncompressed Files\...
You can make it language dependent or independent.

2. Not sure which icon you are talking about, sorry.

Nedelman

Nedelman
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 01:14

Thanks for the response.

1)I wasn't referring to the bit bitmap splash screen, but rather the small dialog box with the progress bar that has some text that reads something like "Installshield is preparing for install...."
2)I was referring to the icon of the setup.exe program that Installshield generates

Now, the only solution I've come up with so far is to open up the Installshield-generated setup.exe as "resources" in VC++ and change the icons by copying and pasting from within the resource editor. It's a pain in the ass. Shame on Installshield for producing a $1000 program that requires me to hack away in an exe to get the results I want.

Not only that, but I discovered that there's an icon I can't change. It's the icon in the upper left corner of the background window that appears when you:
  Enable(FULLWINDOWMODE);  
  Enable(BACKGROUND);
I'm guessing I'll have to hack the _isres.dll to change this.

This is kind of absurd, having to jump through all these hoops just to change a few ICONS.

If anybody has any easier solutions to the problems, I'd love to hear them. However, I've already exhaustively poured through the forums on this site and Installshield's and I don't think there's any other way.

-Derek

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 19:07

Typically, setup developers do not go through the changes you are making. Most people just leave the icons for Setup.Exe alone.

You might need to look in IKernel.Exe for the other one.  Setup.Exe is just a stub that launches another executable after creating a few directories and decompressing some files.

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 10:10

i hope this is what u mean ;)

// This function inserts the right icon in the Setup dialog windows
szFile = SUPPORTDIR ^ "IconFileName.bmp";
DialogSetInfo(DLG_INFO_ALTIMAGE, szFile, TRUE);