This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help me choose between ISMP and IS Dev7 for Java/Windows

1 reply to this topic

matthew

matthew
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 14:26

Hello all -

I am new to Installshield (not yet purchased). My employer is developing a Java-based product that will initially run only on Windows 2000 Server. Other components include a Java app server (initially Websphere, but is app server-neutral) and Oracle/SQL Server.

Given that we will probably not be releasing a non-Windows version in the next year -- likely will, after that -- which release of Installshield should we purchase? the MP release or the Windows (Developer 7) one?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,
Matthew

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2001 - 11:58

ISD will probably give you more access to Windows specific settings - do you need this?
ISD can only install on Windows, so you would have to use a different tool (IS-MP) for other platforms. this means you would have to maintain two projects. So in general I'd suggest MP instead of ISD if you plan to support non-Windows platforms.
(BTW there is no way to migrate a ISD project to MP, you'd have to start from scratch)