This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade and custom actions

1 reply to this topic

dragger

dragger
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 17:14

I have a problem. Situation is simple - I have a setup project created in Visual Studio (2002). It installs a simple application and calls a custom action during install and uninstall.
Then I need to make a major upgrade, I change the product code and version number as necessary. The custom actions are also new. The major upgrade checks for existing versions and removes them before installing the new one.
I now try to perform the installation to the same directory.

My ideal sequence of upgrade would be:
-start upgrade
-remove old files
-old uninstall custom action
-install new files
-new install custom action

However i get:
-start upgrade
-remove old files
-old uninstall custom action
-install new files
-old install custom action

Old and new custom actions are in similarly named files in identical components and I'm installing to the same directory.

Any ideas how I can achieve the sequence I need? Seems as if the old custom action file is cached somewhere during uninstall and during install the old one is used instead of the new one.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 15:14

If the custom action is in a DLL: try to use a different name for the DLL in the new version. Otherwise I believe the system keeps the (old) DLL in memory, as both install and uninstall run in the same process.