This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple Add/Remove Program Listings

6 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 15:28

What could be causing this? Usually we change the Package and Product Codes but leave the Upgrade code untouched. Then the Upgrade Code is listed in the Upgrade table with the appropriate upgradeable versions entered as well.

This is fine on 99.9% of the machines. When an upgrade to version 1, let's say, is installed, the My Procuct v1 listing in the Add/Remove programs applet is replaced by the upgrade's My Product v2 listing.

However, on our in-house QA machines, both My Product v1 and My Product v2 are listed. ???? Is this some type of a Windows setting to allow view of all installations on the system?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:58

This is generally caused by failed major upgrades.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:41

Maybe one version was installed for the active user, and another version for all users?

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 18:40

What is meant by failed Major Upgrade? If the upgrade actually fails for some reason?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 05:29

Failed major upgrade in this case means that the new product was installed, but the old product was not properly uninstalled.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 05:49

I would go through a major upgrade check list:
* Verify that the upgrade table is properly populated
* Verify the existence of an upgradecode
* Verify the existence of an upgrade property that is added to the SecureCustomActions list and not hard coded into the property table
* Check that the necessary actions FindExistingProducts, RemoveExistingProduct exist
* Check that the uninstall of the original products works correctly
* Etc...
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:58

It looks like your Major Upgrade doesn't fully/sucessfully uninstall the old version. Generate a log of the upgrade to see what's going wrong.